My second New Year’s resolution for 2009 is to get more sleep. Studies show that people who don’t get adequate sleep have all sorts of problems: higher rates of heart disease, anxiety, auto accidents; are less productive at work; and myriad other problems. I probably average around 6 hours a night most nights. My goal is to get AT LEAST seven and to try to get eight hours of sleep a night. For the few nights I’ve done it so far this year, I’ve really noticed that I’ve felt better the following days.
I TOTALLY have email apnea, though not just when reading email. I do it all the time. Breathing exercises DO work (I use several), but you have to really work to stay mindful of your breathing.
This article confirms about the effects of chronic undersleeping what I’ve discovered recently: I function MUCH better when I get enough sleep. I’m a chronic undersleeper. But, over the last month or so, I’ve made a concerted effort to get 7-8 hours a night. It works. I’ve been reminded of that even more lately as I’ve NOT gotten enough sleep for the last 2 or 3 nights, and I can really tell the difference.
Maybe I’ll take a nap today.
A quick recap of the Q2 results (Q2 Resolutions here):
- fish more: Ha! I don’t even want to talk about it.
- Write more: Ha! Didn’t even think about this one after writing the resolution. 0 for 2
- Cook more: Ha! Mostly derailed by the kitchen remodel taking, um, I think we’re at week 16 or so now. I HAVE been cooking more since the kitchen’s been functional, and I’m really enjoying it. 1 for 3.
- Clean more: Ha! You can’t clean a house that you’re remodeling. Now that we’re coming down to the finish line (God, I hope so, anyway!), this one should be achievable soon. 1 for 4.
Okay, now that that’s over, maybe some Q3 resolutions just for fun:
- Cook more: startin’ with a winner here. A little confidence booster, as I’m enjoying the hell out of cooking in my new 97% completed kitchen (more pics soon!). This’ll help with the eating healthier, too. I can already tell.
- Sleep more: I average 5-6 hours per night. By the end of the week, I’m in serious sleep deprivation territory. I usually catch back up a little on the weekends, but it’s not enough.
- Exercise…um…some (I can’t really call it “more” when I don’t do it at all now): The Wife up and signed us up at the gym last month. She’s been going regularly, but I’ve just started. I’m feeling confident, though. We’ll see how it’s going in three months.
- Listen more: While I’ve spent a lot of time recently working on MAKING music, I’d like to spend more time just LISTENING to music. I don’t mean having music on in the background when I’m doing other things. I mean JUST listening. While sitting and doing nothing much else. I need to slow down in general, but this is something specific I want to do.
Well, folks, there they are. They’re more ambitious than I had planned (especially the exercise part). I know that sleeping and sitting around listening to music don’t seem like much to get resolved to do, but with all that I have going on, it’ll be tough.
See ya next quarter.
EDIT 2007.07.20: Things are going pretty well so far. And, in response to Luke’s comment below: I didn’t so much need a Resolution about roleplaying (esp. Burning Wheel) as I get in at least one session (and WAY too much forum reading/posting time) per week!
As the Q1 resolution results were a little disappointing, Q2’s resolutions will be a bit more manageable. So, to get right to the resolutions:
- Fish more: Went fishing today. It was windy. We didn’t catch many. The ones we did catch were smallish. It was a freakin’ blast. I feel much better physically (though I’ll be a bit sore tomorrow, as we did a lot of hiking in river gravel and some bank crawling and sliding, plus a load of double-hauling into the wind) and mentally (fishing and exericise always make me feel better in the head). It’s a win-win.
- Write more: In college I wrote a lot of fiction. As a reporter, I wrote a lot of non-fiction (of a particular kind). While I don’t really miss being a reporter, I do miss the writing. For several years now, a friend and I have said we were going to writing and photograph (he’s the photographer) some flyfishing articles. Well, we finally got off our asses and did it. We submitted some ideas and some work and ended up (so far) with assignments for two short pieces and a feature-length piece. Our trip today was for the first short one, due in about six weeks. I’ll update on this as events warrant. But, I have actual, real impetus to write more. So, I’m going to write every day for at least a half hour. There’s a good chance a lot of it will be blogging, too.
- Cook more: This might get derailed somewhat by our ongoing kitchen remodel, but I want to do more cooking. A lot of the cooking for the next four to six weeks will be grilling and/or salads. Sure, I “cook” most nights (well, all the ones we don’t eat out or get take-out), but lately it’s been more about assembling sustenance rather than cooking. Tonight, I made Ginger Tamari Grilled Flank Steak, Wasabi Mashed Potatoes, and Sesame Soy Green Beans. It was Gooo-ood. I should really do more of that.
- Clean more: We sometimes have a tendency to let the housework go in the face of busy lives and a busy three-year-old. It really affects my mental health to do that, though. I get stressed-out when things are messy. I’m going to try to take the time to clean things up each evening, and do at least one “big” cleaning job per day.
That’s it. I think it covers a lot of aspects of my personal life, though. On re-reading the list, it looks like I seriously need to de-stress. So, I’ve made it a goal, too. See you in three months for the results.